Information for Medical Students Seeking Elective Rotations at Drexel University College of Medicine
If you wish to apply for a rotation that begins prior to May 2021, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions. No phone calls please - Email only
Drexel University College of Medicine (DUCOM) uses the AAMC Visiting Student Learning Opportunities program a/k/a VSAS for processing visiting student applications (see link: https://students-residents.aamc.org/attending-medical-school/article/visiting-student-learning-opportunities/.)
Academic year 2021-22: DUCOM will adhere to the AAMC Coalition for Physician Accountability updated recommendations. Applications will be accepted beginning April 15, 2021 for rotations that begin on or after August 2, 2021. Do not anticipate offer notification prior to June 1 for August rotations. For academic year 2021-22, St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children is requiring medical students to have COVID-19 vaccine prior to rotating unless documented as medically contraindicated.
Inquires to Drexel University College of Medicine should be addressed using the
e-mail address: email@example.com . For tracking purposes, when e-mailing please enter the following in the subject line: “Visiting Student” and then your full name.
All courses currently offered through DUCOM are listed on-line via the 2021-2022 Senior Course Catalog http://webcampus.med.drexel.edu/clinicaleducation/seniorelectives.
Policies for Visiting Students:
- Applications must be submitted through VSAS. Note: DUCOM’s eligibility requirements (pre-and post-decision requirements) are listed on our VSAS institution overview page https://apps.aamc.org/vsas/public.html#/pinstitution/833/?returnUrl=find-electives. Please review both pre/post requirements PRIOR to applying as you will be charged by VSAS... continue reading policies…
- All visiting medical students must be enrolled in a Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) or American Osteopathic Association (AOA) accredited medical school (United States or Canadian) and in, or beginning, the final (senior) year of medical school. Please refer to current directory of LCME-accredited schools published by the AAMC: http://lcme.org/directory/. DUCOM will not accept students in a "Fifth Pathway Program."
- All visiting medical students must have completed one year of clinical training, including the following clerkships: Medicine, Surgery, Psychiatry, Obstetrics/Gynecology and Pediatrics in an LCME-accredited medical school as noted above. Third year core clerkships are not available to visiting students.
- All students must be covered by malpractice insurance and personal health insurance and provide documentation to DUCOM.
- The AAMC standardized immunization form (AAMC Immunization form) must be completed. Please download form linked in VSAS under the Immunization link, complete and upload to VSAS, do not send copies of records unless requested. You may not substitute an alternate form.
- DUCOM’s Supplemental application: Please download the VSAS Supplemental form, complete Section I and have Section II completed and signed by your Dean of Students or designee. No modifications may be made to the application. DO NOT APPLY TO VSAS IF ANY CHANGES ARE MADE/REQUESTED – we recommend that you contact Drexel Clinical Education directly to see if the differences may be reconciled before your non-refundable VSAS fee is charged.
- No visiting student may complete more than 12 weeks total of elective experience at Drexel University College of Medicine.
- All students must submit a non-refundable elective fee of $75.00 for each rotation once an offer has been extended and accepted. This fee must be received within 7 days of the offer and always prior to the start of the rotation. A link will be provided for payment via credit card once offer has been extended.
- No confirmed elective may be dropped within six-weeks of the start of the rotation. Again, no refunds will be issued once a rotation has been offered and accepted.
- No housing is provided by Drexel University College of Medicine.
- Siblings, spouses, partners should not apply for the same rotation at the same site at the same time. It is Drexel's policy that these students do not rotate together. No refunds will be issued should Drexel learn of this instance and have to cancel a rotation; however, Drexel will attempt to secure an alternative learning opportunity.
- It is strongly recommended that any student interested in a rotation within 8-weeks of application complete ALL requirements at the time of application, including background checks, in order to meet requirements in time for rotation.
Visiting Students should familiarize themselves with the Drexel University College of Medicine Visiting Student Handbook prior to arrival and may access the Handbook at any time.
Some visiting students may wish to schedule an elective rotation at one of our affiliated educational institutions. (You may see them in the electives catalogue but will not see them in VSAS). Drexel University College of Medicine can only schedule visiting students for rotations that are listed in VSAS. If you wish to schedule a rotation at one of our affiliated educational institutions, please contact them directly.
For the 2021-2022 Academic Year, 4th year courses have the beginning start dates: Link to Block Start dates for 2021-2022.
Applications will be NOT be accepted until April 15, 2021. Visiting student applications are processed once considered fully completed on a first received-first filled basis.
No notifications will be made until after June 1st. All arrangements should be completed six-weeks prior to the start of the rotation.
Thank you for your interest in scheduling an elective rotation at Drexel University College of Medicine or one of our academic affiliated hospitals.